Feeling like you need to relax? Then, have we got good news for you!
Next Monday, June 21, is International Yoga Day. While the practice of yoga has been around for nearly 5,000 years, the holiday has only been around since 2014.
It was first proposed to the UN by the Indian Prime Minister as a celebration of yoga’s unique ability to connect people with themselves, with others, and with the world around them. In just a few short years, International Yoga Day has become a huge global event, beloved by yoga experts and beginners alike.
Want to join the fun?
Wait, don’t run away! You don’t need any yoga experience whatsoever to do these seven simple yoga poses. Anyone can be a master yogi with this desk detox routine:
- Sit up tall, place your feet flat on the floor, and place your palms on your thighs.
- Soften or close your eyes.
- Inhale and count to 4, then exhale and count to 6.
- Repeat for 4-5 rounds, or as much as needed.
- Sit/stand up tall and inhale.
- As you exhale, tilt your right ear down toward your right shoulder.
- For a more intense stretch, place your right hand on top of your left ear to add light pressure.
- Hold for a few breaths. Repeat on left side.
- Tilt your head forward (think about touching your chin to your chest).
- Slowly roll your head to the right until your right ear is tilted toward your right shoulder.
- Continue the slow circle by tilting your head back (chin toward the ceiling) and around so the left ear is tilted toward your left shoulder.
- Finish by returning to the beginning position of chin to chest.
- Repeat 2-3 times in each direction.
- Clasp your hands together and inhale.
- Exhale and stretch arms upward with palms facing the ceiling.
- Tilt side to side slightly to stretch shoulders.
- As you inhale, reach both hands behind your chair and clasp them together.
- Exhale as you slowly straighten your arms and tilt your chin toward the ceiling, allowing your chest (or “heart”) to open/stretch.
- Sit/stand up tall. Place right hand on hip and reach left hand straight up toward the ceiling as you inhale.
- As you exhale, reach your left hand over your head and toward the right wall to create a stretching sensation down your side.
- Repeat on right side.
Seated Spinal Twist:
- Sit up tall and place your feet flat on the floor.
- Slowly twist your upper body to face the right wall. Grab the back of your chair for added support.
- Ensure your spine stays as straight as possible and hold for a few breaths.
- Repeat on left side.