Coming off of the last two years, people are a mix of eager to be back and downright exhausted. Many of us aren’t getting enough self-care in, but lucky for us, we’re coming up on the season of rest: summer!
Weather is warming up, days are longer, and the earth just seems to smile. How can we make sure we’re smiling along with it?
Check out five little things you can do every day for a more joyful and restful summer:
- Press pause in the morning – 5-10 minutes of calm in the morning can make or break your day. It may sound impossible if you’re busy, but just try waking up an extra 10 minutes early. Use that time to meditate, drink coffee calmly, do a gentle movement practice, or do whatever activity you find grounding.
- Curate the sound of your commute – Choose the media you consume wisely. Don’t begin your day listening to sad news or skipping through a mediocre playlist. Create a mix of your favorite summer anthems, epic singalongs, or maybe an encouraging podcast to start your day with a mood booster.
- Get outside – You can’t let the warm weather go to waste! Take walks, have lunch in the park, visit a pool, go on hikes, rent a bike… there’s no shortage of ways to soak up some vitamin D, which has been proven to have physical and mental health benefits!
- Eat healthy – When you feel good physically, you’ll feel good mentally. Fresh fruits and vegetables are refreshing treats in the summer heat and a great way to do something nice for yourself. However, we’re not advocating for restrictive dieting. Just be sure to throw in some fresh produce throughout your day, like an apple for a snack!
- Talk to a friend – Social time can often get lost in the daily grind of wake up, work, sleep, repeat. But spending time with friends has been shown to help boost your mood and decrease stress. Of course, spending time with friends is ideal, but on the days you can’t hang out, at least call or text someone who will put a smile on your face.